Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fill-up, Sunday, February 13, 2011

406.8 miles
6.920 gallons
$3.179/gallon

58.79 mpg
4.00 L/100km


Wentworth's complete fueling history

So close!

I decided to go to the gas station a day or so early, since I was in the middle of an engine-off glide with some momentum that I didn't want to waste by slowing down to turn down the side street to go home, and the light was green with no traffic. After all, always best to combine short trips into the end of longer ones.

Just a little shy of the magic 60 mpg, which to be honest, surprised me a little given the single trip readings this tank. Yes, the display on the Prius overestimates slightly, but I had thought most of them were sufficiently above or at 60 to make it work. I imagine that the margin of error increases immensely the higher you go with your mileage. If you use .1 gallons of gas over 10 miles, you get 100 mpg. If you calculate wrong and say .11 gallons over 10 miles, you get 91 mpg. When it's a matter of many miles divided by very small, precise fractions of gallons, there's lots of room for error.

There was one day with wet roads that I remember really killed the mileage (I find wet roads are worse than cold), plus the 19°F trip, and a couple other cold trips where I could not get the ICE to shut down in a timely manner.

On the other hand, there were lots of other good ones which I'm pretty proud of!

In any case it was my best tank, and I'm happy with it given the terrain I have to drive in and the winter temperatures.

61.0 mpg this morning to work over 26 miles in 25°F.


Halfway through the trip home today. I just liked the stairstepping action on the screen!


Good ride home today, 66.1 mpg displayed over 27 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment